HOW IS VAPING DIFFERENT TO SMOKING?
The difference between smoking and vaping is that smoking delivers nicotine by burning tobacco, which can cause smoking-related illnesses, and vaping can deliver nicotine by heating a liquid in a much less harmful way.
WHAT’S IN VAPE LIQUID?
The vaping liquid (also called e-liquid) typically contains propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine, plus flavours and the option of nicotine.
- Propylene glycol creates a throat sensation similar to smoking.
- A higher ratio vegetable glycerine gives more vapour.
- Different flavours are added for personal preference and flavours must be water-soluble. Flavours other than tobacco extracts must meet food standards in the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code 2002.
WHAT IS A VAPE DEVICE?
Vape devices are also known as e-cigarettes. There are two types, both of which need charging:
- Discreet pod or pen devices are mouth-to-lung devices. Pod devices have a battery and a disposable e-liquid cartridge. Pen devices have a battery, a tank that refills with liquid, and a coil that heats the vapour.
- More complex tank devices are direct-to-lung devices and are the ones that can make big clouds.
HOW VAPING HELPS SMOKERS?
Vaping can help smokers quit by delivering nicotine. Vaping is a lot less harmful than smoking for smokers. Only vape to quit smoking.
Quitting smoking can be tough. Vaping is a way to quit cigarettes by getting nicotine with fewer of the toxins that come from burning tobacco. You get to stay social, spend less, and once you’ve quit smoking you’ll feel better for it.
Although vaping’s much less harmful than smoking, it’s not harmless. So you should plan to eventually quit vaping too, but only when you know you won’t go back to smoking.
WHY IS NICOTINE IN VAPING?
Many people miss the nicotine when they quit smoking, and can experience a range of nicotine withdrawal symptoms which may make quitting difficult.
Vaping can replace this nicotine but without many, or less of, the toxins found in cigarette smoke.
IS NICOTINE HARMFUL?
For people who smoke:
- nicotine itself is low harm.
- nicotine has little or no long-term health effects.
- nicotine is addictive and if your vape contains nicotine you will still be addicted to this.
- it’s what comes with the nicotine that could be harmful.
IS ADDICTION BAD?
Addictions can be bad if they negatively impact on your life. These impacts could be health, financial or cultural.
Nicotine itself does not have a significant impact on the health of people who smoke. However, the addiction to nicotine can make you feel irritable, restless, unable to concentrate, and most people experience cravings when they go without it. Having it takes away these symptoms, and this can keep you stuck in a cycle of addiction.
WHAT DOES NICOTINE DO?
Nicotine is addictive because it affects part of the brain that is involved in ‘rewarding behaviour’.
Nicotine has some side effects, like nausea and vomiting. Smokers have become used to these types of effects. However, non-smokers who get exposed to nicotine could experience this. People who don’t smoke should not use nicotine.